Thursday, May 9, 2013

YouTube channels to kill time with – as if you weren't already

    I have not been a big fan of YouTube. There, I said it, let the rotten fruit throwing start now. While I realize most everyone else on the planet has been glued to it, I have just recently found a couple of channels I like watch. So here are a few YouTube shorts I am, and you should be, watching:

Cinema Sins

    As the tag line says, “no movie is without sin.” In generally 4 to 7 minutes you can see some of the things wrong with your favorite movie. Which is not to say that the movie is bad, every movie has problems and plot-holes. Cinema Sins is a series of short (1-2 second) scenes from a movie and a voice-over describing what is wrong with it. Which is great fun to watch and chuckle along. Think of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on fast-forward.


How It Should Have Ended

    Another series of short clips, this time animated, about, well, how a movie (or game) should have ended. Great fun, and when Superman and Batman discuss movies at the cafe it is fantastic. There are over 100 as I write this, so be warned you may kill far too much time laughing should you choose to visit this channel.


Feminist Frequency

    I love the Tropes vs Women series on this channel. Each video presents a common plot device in movies or games that are used to portray women in a bad light. For example the classic “damsel in distress.” Why don't we see 'princes in distress?' (or even 'princes gone wild'?) It is hard to find a well-written female character in, well, anything. What I like most about this series is that it is not an angry, evil-men-are-abusing-the-image-of-women series; rather, it takes an honest look at unconscious trends and metaphors that have crept into popular writing and asks why people don't write better. I have to admit that even looking at my own stories I have found myself not writing the quality of female characters I should. So it is an eye-opening series for any writer or person interested in art.

    I'm sure there are many, many more YouTube channels that are worth following, but these are the only ones I've bumped into so far. If you know of another, feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment