Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Evil (in my opinion) Game Design


    After having posted the great Extra Credits episode on Humane Game Design, I had to post a link to this.  I like to read Cracked.com, they have a great mix of different articles and write about even serious subjects in a funny manner.  But when I came across this article on 5 Reasons I Lost $9,000 On An iPhone Game, I had to post something about it here.
    I have never been a casual game fan, I like to accomplish something in my games.  I'm currently playing Skyrim (yeah, I'm well behind the curve) and I like it (despite some flaws).  I like having quests and completing quests and building my own house (I had to get the game of the year edition for Hearthfire).  I like getting stuff done.  Which has been a problem with me and MMOs, the repetitive nature of their content feels like I haven't gotten anywhere.  But while I may not like that kind of design, the game described in the cracked article sounds downright evil.  Like it was meant to use social pressure to force people to spend money on what is marked as a free-to-play game.  That's a whole 'nother level of horrible game design.  I cannot fathom why people would play this sort of game at all, but I do feel sorry for them being manipulated (weather deliberately or not) into spending way too much time and especially money on a game.
    No deep thoughts, not right now at least, just something so amazing I wanted to post a link to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment