Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Homeless Nerd Reviews- The Intern


    I ended up seeing this one with some friends, it was not something that looked very interesting (given that I'm a SF&F guy) but I decided to tag along and give it a try.  First, as a 40 year old guy the Robert De Niro character says something to me (granted I'm not his retirement 70, but I can see that down the road (and it terrifies me)).  So I had a little bonding to the premise.  "Ben" has retired, lost his wife, and is bored out of his skull.  So he decided to try an intern position with a fashion/web company founded by "Jules" (Anne Hathaway).  He is the fish out of water, with his old-school ways amid a group of twenty-somethings. But his unique perspective helps everyone around him re-evaluate their own lives.
    It's a cute movie, and a lot better than I expected it to be.  It starts at a good pace, and things keep unfolding steadily with some interesting characters.  Until the end.  None of the plot threads really seem to wrap up well, I was trying to think of how to describe it for this review and "lack of closure" is the only phrase that comes to mind.  It does end, but I did not feel a good sense of closure from anything.
    Still, it was well-acted, and entertaining to watch.  There were some great moments (the break-in scene, classic).  De Niro is great, of course - and so is Anne Hathaway and the supporting cast.  I liked everybody, as characters and performances.  My only real complaint is how the story just didn't seem to close very neatly.  It kind of fades away instead of ending on a good cathartic note.

My recommendation- catch the cheap show and give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment